Skip to main content

NUMA: Theory and Practice

I'm in the middle of creating a deployment image of OEL 5u3 (based on RHEL5u3) for new Dell PowerEdge R710 servers. After creating a generic and untested setup for the BIOS, my VMware guy came and informed me that vSphere 4 recommendations list to disable memory interleaving. Generally, letting NUMA do its thing yields better performance. So I'm now checking whether or not use interleaving for my 32 GB servers or to use NUMA out-of-the-box on Linux 2.6.18 as shipped with OEL5u3.
I could switch to "Optimizer Mode" for the 32 GB but I'll need to have all servers physically checked and DIMMs reseated. So I opted for Interleaving to hope and try to gain some performance increase. Now I find out NUMA could be better and it is supported from RHEL5, which each update improving on it.

I'll have to run more tests to be sure but for now I'm glad I discovered I could enable NUMA on OEL4u5 or higher as well, using a kernel option at boot time. Be sure to check numactl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning the nscd name cache daemon

I've been playing a bit with the nscd now and want to share some tips related to tuning the nscd.conf file. To see how the DNS cache is doing, use nscd -g. nscd configuration: 0 server debug level 26m 57s server runtime 5 current number of threads 32 maximum number of threads 0 number of times clients had to wait yes paranoia mode enabled 3600 restart internal passwd cache: no cache is enabled [other zero output removed] group cache: no cache is enabled [other zero output removed] hosts cache: yes cache is enabled yes cache is persistent yes cache is shared 211 suggested size 216064 total data pool size 1144 used data pool size 3600 seconds time to live for positive entries 20 seconds time to live for negative entries 66254 cache hi...

Preventing PuTTY timeouts

Just found a great tip to prevent timeouts of PuTTY sessions. I'm fine with timeouts by the host, but in our case the firewall kills sessions after 30 minutes of inactivity... When using PuTTY to ssh to your Linux/Unix servers, be sure to use the feature to send NULL packets to prevent a timeout. I've set it to once every 900 seconds, i.e. 15 minutes... See screenshot on the right.

Logbook and Note Book

I'm no longer actively working with Linux although I use it privately. This was my work logbook during my job as a Linux Engineer and Architect for KPN Data Centers.  I'm keeping this as a log and note book. Who knows when it comes in handy although much will be outdated. If you find any good resources or more current howtos for what was written here, let me know!