Skip to main content

Why does Linux clock keep running too fast or too slow in VMware?

I noticed this myself a few months ago but thought ntp needed to get in sync and stabilize and forgot about it until a new colleague alerted me to Linux kernel timing...
Since the ESX host runs at a certain clock tick rate (usually 1000 per second) and Linux guests (VMs) also run at that rate (if kernel >= 2.6.x), you get a mismatch between real and virtual clock ticks. So interrupts get missed, never happen or keep happening. Either way, time gets skewed and this can lead to serious issues.
VMware is aware of this issue and their Knowledge Base offers a few fixes and work-arounds for ESX 2, 2.5 and 3 (i.e. VI3). The basic thought is to increase the tick rate for the ESX host, or to limit the tick rate for the VM.

The new tick-less kernel may also provide a great solution, but support for this by Oracle or VMware is yet unknown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning the nscd name cache daemon

I've been playing a bit with the nscd now and want to share some tips related to tuning the nscd.conf file. To see how the DNS cache is doing, use nscd -g. nscd configuration: 0 server debug level 26m 57s server runtime 5 current number of threads 32 maximum number of threads 0 number of times clients had to wait yes paranoia mode enabled 3600 restart internal passwd cache: no cache is enabled [other zero output removed] group cache: no cache is enabled [other zero output removed] hosts cache: yes cache is enabled yes cache is persistent yes cache is shared 211 suggested size 216064 total data pool size 1144 used data pool size 3600 seconds time to live for positive entries 20 seconds time to live for negative entries 66254 cache hi...

Preventing PuTTY timeouts

Just found a great tip to prevent timeouts of PuTTY sessions. I'm fine with timeouts by the host, but in our case the firewall kills sessions after 30 minutes of inactivity... When using PuTTY to ssh to your Linux/Unix servers, be sure to use the feature to send NULL packets to prevent a timeout. I've set it to once every 900 seconds, i.e. 15 minutes... See screenshot on the right.

Logbook and Note Book

I'm no longer actively working with Linux although I use it privately. This was my work logbook during my job as a Linux Engineer and Architect for KPN Data Centers.  I'm keeping this as a log and note book. Who knows when it comes in handy although much will be outdated. If you find any good resources or more current howtos for what was written here, let me know!